Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Hubpage: Every Day Is A Struggle

A struggle to raise the profile number that keeps falling, to keep the hubs featured, to transfer writing from their format to a blog. Every. Single. Day.

 Every once in awhile the site gives me a request to know if I will recommend Hubpages to others. I ignore it. "Not now", is the answer I would have to give. I wouldn't do this to my friends.

The income is pennies and the workload has become almost unreasonable. My own nature is to tackle unreasonable tasks just to see if I can overcome the challenge of it... but not recommend it to others. 

Hubpages Has Become One Big Struggle

In trying to jump through the many hoops which do not seem to be enumerated for members of the site, I have ceased the actual writing.

I think I would feel better if I could write something and have it be acceptable enough to be featured. 

Part of the problem is what is used to evaluate the hubs. Mturk hires and robots, neither of which are good with the use of the English language it seems.

To be fair, when reworking my removed material I have had to rewrite some of it for my own satisfaction and standards. I edit regularly anyway, so that is part of my process and not something I am complaining about.

But There are strange things that seem to happen with my writing at the site. I don't like the edits that others make, and the system seems to promote nonsensical moving around of the various capsules. 

This Is A Rant

I don't mean to... but really so much is awry at Hubpages at the moment. And I am a bit weary of the struggle.

On the bright side.... it forced me to start working more on my writing and on building my own sites. That process had started with Squidoo.

For example sake I will list a couple of the Hubs that are totally unfeatured (have an empty circle next to them), followed by those unfeatured for lack of traffic, and a list of my top five featured hubs.

UnFeatured Top 5


Some of these are topics I would not have written about, but prompts and contests on Squidoo inspired them. Some came from writing ideas ( like lots of articles that completely explore one niche).

I believe many more of my hubs will become unfeatured if I touch them (updates). Updates trigger the quality process. If they have Amazon capsules ( sometimes even one will cause a problem), or the topic is not liked... which is the situation with some that I permanently moved.

My plan is to completely reduce the number of hubs that keep on having problems and eventually replace them with newly written topics that are tailored for Hubpages liking ( for however long that lasts) just to see if I can do it. Sort of a "crack the code" challenge.

In the meantime, a lot of work ahead in trying to salvage the many hours spent in producing content and interesting articles for Squidoo/Hubpage consumption.

Was It All for Naught?

No. I learned things that many pay good money to learn. I paid in effort and time, which would be required anyway (maybe not quite so much of it, however!)

And don't forget... I did earn some money along the way. It paid for my hosting and domain names for a couple years.

Now, the cheese has moved and I need to find where today's cheese is stashed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments, but show no mercy to spam!