Thursday, July 28, 2016

Hubpages Hobble Along

Working online

The newest thing at Hubpages was the introduction of "Niche sites". Separated into new sites that center on a group of related topics, this has worked out for the site to something of an improvement so far, at least Google is friendlier to them than the main site.

For me, it has worked out middling well. Probably middling because they greatly slowed the inclusion of hubs, and after having only four moved from the more than 140 I have on the site. For those with more of their pages moved the results are likely much better.

The income improved a great deal after the niche sites were begun. Which wasn't hard, considering the hubs were down to pennies before the switch.

Sites Moved

Based on traffic numbers, only the most popular sites tended to be moved (after editors were through).
Of mine these are the ones that were chosen from the main site:

Tightening Control

Along with the niche sites, rules were implemented and strictly enforced. All in the hopes of enticing Google to more kindly view them, I've understood from the forum discussions.

Cutting away the Amazon modules has been high priority.

Submitting to editing by unknown persons is another. While it is stated that writers have a choice whether to abide by the changes to their articles, the reality is that punishment is severe enough that it is a right in word only, not reality. Banishment from the niche sites or "un-featuring" altogether.


The Main Site

Most of my writing remains on the main site, which struggle to get any traffic whatsoever for individual articles. Not that the site structure helps. It is very hard to find anything except the front page featured stuff.

Promises are made to to include more pages within the niche sites, but it is slow going for many like me. Some of the more senior members of Hubpages report many of their pages moved, but I notice the forums have quieted to almost a whisper about the changes. 

New Work?

The conditions are not conducive to new work, but I wrote a few when I had time (My work has switched to improving my own sites, and moving rejected (repeatedly unfeatured) articles to them.

Of the new articles I wrote,
only the "Best Female British Detective Shows" made it to one of the new sites.

Most people on the site are "wait and see", but many are writing new articles. 

I spend most of my time there tending my older work, trying to learn about what works for online writing and reading in the forum.

I won't put lion shares of time in, as I did at Squidoo , until it appears to be worthwhile in terms of income. Income, because links are frowned upon, and it does not benefit my work elsewhere. I also do not find the community to be as satisfying as Squidoo. Perhaps I do not understand the culture of it, yet.

That is the report on the Hubpage experience to date. Stay tuned for future reports.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments, but show no mercy to spam!